When it comes to books, I can get pretty OCD. Not with the story, but with the actual, physical book. Below I have listed my pet peeves. Feel free to tell me I’m not alone in these feelings.
- Changing A Book Cover To Promote The Movie – I can abide Now A Major Motion Picture! stickers. But when you change the cover of a book into a poster, I get seriously annoyed.
- Stickers – Nowadays, I don’t even try to take price stickers off, even though I hate them. It always ends up in a sticky, patchy mess.
- Embarrassing Covers – Anytime I even think about trying the Mortal Instruments series, I get repelled by the image of what looks like some guy’s glowing, tattooed chest over the city skyline. I couldn’t display that on my bookshelf, much less take it out in public.
- The Next… – “It’s the next Hunger Games/Twilight/Harry Potter!” Choose your pop culture icon.
- Weird Font – Okay, this will probably get me some funny looks. But here’s the thing, I like chunky books. Something with some bulk behind it. So I look at the page number for this book I like the sound of online, and the website says 375. Everything looks good, so of course I buy it. But when it comes in, the font is big, chunky… weird. Waste of space. And then you get the books that are 500+ pages, when decreasing the font size a little would make things more manageable.
- Vague/Misleading Synopsis – You know those little blurbs on the back? I hate when they are, like, two sentences that don’t give the slightest bit of information about the plot. And what about when you read the blurb, say: “This looks interesting”, but once you finish the book, you put it down and say: “This isn’t what I was promised at all.”
- “Generic” Covers – If you go to any given bookstore and look in the teen section, you’d see that a lot of book covers look very similar. Girls in pretty dresses, bodies you can’t see all of, the same picture photoshopped for a completely different book, blah. What ever happened to originality? This is just lazy.
- Misleading Covers – I really wish more book covers had at least something to do with the actual subject matter. It would be so much more creative.
- Typos/ Grammatical Errors – Call me a Grammar Nazi, but this is so annoying!
- It Costs What?! – Darn inflation.
- Dogeared Pages – Shudder.
What are your bookish pet peeves?